Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Another Sultan?

I'm thinking that the one yellow chick that I first guessed was a buff cochin (the large one in the center pictured above) in my earlier post is another Sultan chick. Maybe they gave me another in the assortment. I didn't think it was a Sultan because of a slight grey stripe on its back that the other Sultan chick does not have, but I learned through my Googling that while all Sultans will eventually be all white, some with a silver gene will look like this one. Some may have just a little gray, some may be mostly gray, appearing blue. It has a crest not as puffy as the other, and a tiny extra toe. The other one's toe is more pronounced and separated from the other toe. But it's just as fat and fluffy!

This video from Cackle Hatchery shows the variety of colors in Sultan chicks and explains the silver gene as the reason:




All these ones at Murray McMurray Hatchery appear to be the silver kind:


Sultan 1 and possible Sultan 2, with d'Uccle and cochin chicks
L-R -- Golden Neck d'Uccle, all-yellow Sultan chick, silver gene Sultan chick.


No comments:

Post a Comment